The Georgia Pharmacy Association seeks to be the unified voice of the pharmacy profession in Georgia, aggressively advocating for the profession in shaping public policy, encouraging ethical health care practices, while enhancing the profession’s value in health care.
GPhA Board of Directors
President/Board Chair: Tommy Whitworth
Immediate Past President: Bobby Moody
First Vice President:
Second Vice President:
Chief Executive Officer:
Academy Designee (AHP/ACP):
AEP Designee: Sharon Deason
AIP Designee: Drew Miller
Daryl Reynolds (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chris Thurmond (email@example.com)
Director of Continuing Education & Events(404) 419-8126
Vice President of Finance & Administration(404) 419-8129
|Ruth Ann McGehee(404) 419-8173
|Tei “T” Muhammad
Director of Membership Operations(404) 419-8115
Manager of Insurance Servicesdmucha@gpha.org
Vice President of Communication and Engagementpratliff@gpha.org
GPhA Staff: Academy of Independent Pharmacy
|Jeff Lurey, R.Ph.
Director/GPhA Vice President of Independent Pharmacy(404) 419-8103
|Amanda Gaddy, RPh
Director of Clinical Services(404) 419-8102
|Verouschka “V” Betancourt-Whigham
Manager of AIP Member Services(404) 419-8102
AIP Member Service Representatives
In the summer of 1875, a concerned group of Georgia pharmacists sent a notice to all the pharmacists of the state, requesting them to assemble in Macon on October 20, 1875:
“to consider the organization of a pharmaceutical association, binding each other with closer ties of friendship and to promote interest in the junior members of the fraternity and exciting the spirit of emulation and ambition; the interchange and dissemination of scientific researches; the framing of laws to be enacted that will result not only in the protection of the profession but the public in general.”
Georgia’s newspapers published the notice at no charge and the railroads agreed to provide reduced rates from any point in the state to Macon for anyone who wished to attend the meeting.
At least twenty pharmacists were present in Macon at Freeman’s Hall at eight o’clock on the evening of October 20, 1875. The meeting included brief presentations by a member of the State Board of Health and three physicians from the Macon Medical Society, all of whom assured cooperation and support from their organizations. Following these presentations, the delegation of pharmacists adopted a constitution with an objective to bring together all the “reputable druggists” of the state in an association in the interests of the profession at large, specifying that every druggist and apothecary of good moral and professional standing whether in business, or in retirement from business, or employed by another, and the teachers of pharmacy, chemistry, materia medica, and botany, who may be professors in any college of pharmacy, should constitute the membership of the association. Thus, the Georgia Pharmaceutical Association was established.
Today the Georgia Pharmacy Association is a nationally respected voice for the pharmacy profession.